Introducing Shani Rom, the founder of Rom Studio; pilates and yoga instructor as well as ceramic artist.
Tell us about yourself in 3 sentences:
A lover of aesthetics and creation. Movement and flow. An indulger of life.
Your work and passion?
I am a pilates/ yoga instructor/ ceramicist. I spend my days splitting my time between teaching clients and creating homeware goods. Indulging in all aspects of life to the fullest.
What is your relation to this city?
I have lived in the city for over eight years now. I arrived to the city because it has all the cultural avenues I wished to absorb and desired. The city has it all; galleries, indie theaters, small and large music halls, restaurants, shops, and people.
Taking the day to roam the streets, popping in different shops and stopping for a bite at a local spot. If there is a long wait for a table at your favorite restaurant take a minute to get a cheap foot massage on 8th Street. Everything in New York that entails being spontaneous is always a winner.
Your top 3 hangout spots?
- I Sodi
- Port Sa’id
To Grab Drinks:
- Bar Pisellino (always a west village must especially when waiting for any of their sister restaurants to be seated)
- In Sheeps Clothing
- Le Dive
- 9 Orchard
- Commerce Inn
- Do Not Feed Alligators
- Film Forum
- The Angelika
- Quad Theater
Best date place?
I Sodi - a West Village favorite. I Sodi has recently moved to a “bigger” space down the block from its original location. I highly recommend to arrive early to place yourself on the waitlist if you are unlucky at getting reservations in the first place. Always ask to be seated on the bar, side by side. Their lasagnas are by far the best of the best. Everything about this place is intimate and delicious.
Where do you go shopping?
- Colbo NY
- Frankie Shop
- Amacord (Williamsburg)
- Mcnally Jackson Bookshop
- Love Not Money
- A1 Records
- Music Inn World Instruments
- Guggenheim Museum
- Whitney Museum
- New Museum
- David Zwirner Gallery
- Gagosian Gallery
- Hauser and Wirth Gallery
- Mariam Goodman Gallery
- Pace Gallery
* Overall do a gallery walk day start from 26th street and 10th Avenue and walk in snake manner from one block and avenue all the way down to 19th street. Discover various galleries and shows.
Where is your escape place from this city?
When I feel drawn to escape the city, I pack my bags and book a flight somewhere far far away. As of late I have been spending a lot of time in Costa Rica — if I am already going to take a journey I would like to find myself a few hours later in nature.
Best 5 local advices?
1.Get out of the house and get lost in the city, take different routes to places you like to go to and along the way you will discover new shops and local places that you might have missed otherwise.
2. Wear comfortable shoes when you leave the house
3. Be open to new experiences, don’t be afraid to try new things — you never know who and what will inspire you.
4. Make friends with your favorite local spots, you never know when you’ll walk in and need a place on the bar or a table for lunch/dinner.
5. Live the moment, it never returns in the same way.
What’s your favorite This Way product?
Flight Compression Socks - a must!