Describe who you are in 3 sentences
My name is Jennifer. I am a limitless optimist and truly believe that things happen for a reason. Passionate about fashion, I am currently responsible for Calvin Klein Jeans Men’s product but equally excited about technology. Traveling keeps me getting inspired and sports like skiing, kickboxing or hiking relaxed.
What is your relation to this city?
I moved to Amsterdam about 7 years ago for my job and live from one day to another. With all its ups and downs – mainly talking about the weather and the charming directness of the people- I learned to love this beautiful place. Amsterdam is such a unique place as it feels peaceful like a little village yet super dynamic and never gets boring. I am thankful for many wonderful memories and all the amazing people I met along this journey and it will always be a special place for me.
Every year when the first rays of sun come out and people move their lives to the outside. The whole city changes within seconds to a happier place.
Definitely the first time discovering a mouse in my office drawer. I literally screamed and jumped on my desk at the same time. Still a big laugh for the ones that experienced this one. Ever since I am equipped with several mice traps successfully keeping those Amsterdam inhabitants away from me.
Your top 3 hangout spots?
- Foam Museum; changing photography exhibitions
- Roof Terrace of Soho House with a fantastic view over the dam square
- Vondelpark in the early morning for a run or walk before everyone else is out
- Balthazars Keuken; Small family restaurant with weekly changing set three-course menu and lovely staff. They also own a wine bar just across the street.
- Vuurtoreneiland; you’ll need to plan ahead but it’s definitely worth it. The restaurant is placed on a tiny lighthouse island in Amsterdam and you can only get there by boat. The ride is part of the evening and dinner is served depending on the season either in the vaulted winter restaurant or in summer in the glasshouse.
- The Duchess; Amsterdam’s answer for posh dining. The former KAS Bank turned into a Belle Epoque like place. Great cocktails and sharing menu.
- FouFow Ramen; I am a big fan of balance and simple things. Here you get the best Ramen in town, perfect for a quick lunch while strolling the 9 streets.
Best date place?
- Botanical Garden
Best Sunday spot?
- My roof terrace or..
- Take a ferry or go by bike to NDSM North and see the city from a different side, or simply hang out at Pllek for a little beach feeling in the city.
If you were to live in another place, where would that be and why?
Munich or Zurich, at least somewhere close to the mountains for skiing and hiking.
Where is your escape place from this city?
The airport. My friends live across the globe and we try to stay in touch and see each other frequently. As stunning as Amsterdam is, a little escape once in a while makes you appreciate it even more.
Best 5 local advices?
- Get a bike and experience the city with a different perspective, but please learn biking before ☺
- Amsterdam is the city of denim, the staff at Tenue De Nimes is super friendly and will make sure you’ll get the best fit!
- Take a walk through Amsterdam’s art scene starting in the Jordan and check out some galleries. Reflex, Wouter van Leeuwen and Grimm Gallery are great ones, but you can discover many more.
- Don’t take the directness personal and be afraid to be direct!
- Take a cruise along the canals – ideal for Apero time.